Bataan Peninsula State University Abucay Campus, with its Campus Director, Mr. Herminio L. Miguel, held its R&D In-House Review on June 23, 2010 at the Farmers’ Training Center of BPSU Abucay Campus. Having been dedicated and committed to the university’s research‘s vision and mission, Abucay Campus presented 12 research papers that were categorized into two, namely: Research Category and Development Category.
Under the Research Category, the following were presented:
- DEVELOPMENT OF LOW COST HYDROPHONICS SYSTEM FOR HIGH VALUE VEGETABLE PRODUCTION (Engr. Walter G. Valdez, Engr. Jonathan Lacayanga, Engr. Ricson Ines. Reynan P. Calderon)
- EFFICACY TESTING OF BPSU PRODUCED ORGANIC FERTILIZERS ON VARIOUS CROPS (Dr. Arturo M. Alegado)
- FEEDING VALUE OF SPENT DRIED SALTED FISH AS PARTIAL AND TOTAL REPLACEMENT TO FISHMEAL ON BROILER RATION ( Dir. Rudy Flores & Dr. Hermogenes M. Paguia)
- FEEDING VALUE OF CAPSICUM FRUTESCENS SUPPLEMENTED DIETS ON CHICKEN LAYING PERFORMANCE AND EGG QUALITY (Dr. Hermogenes M. Paguia, Mrs. Rina Paguia )
- GROWTH AND YIELD RESPONSE OF RICE TO DIFFERENT LEVELS OF ORGANIC FERTILIZER AND TREATED HOG MANURE UNDER AEROBIC RICE TECHNOLOGY (Mrs. Editha A. Ganado, Mrs. Fernando V. Gonzales)
- ON SITE DEMONSTRATION OF SOIL EROSION MAGNITUDE OF UPLAND FARMING PRACTICES IN BATAAN (Engr. Ricson L. Ines, Mr. Fernando V. Gonzales, Engr. Lacayanga, Engr. Valdez, Mrs. Editha A. Ganado)
- SURVERY OF INDIGENOUS FOOD CROPS OF THE AETAS IN THE WILDERNESS OF BATAAN FOREST (For. Romualdo B. De Guzman)
- GOAT INDUSTRY IN BATAAN: PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS (Dr. Gregorio J. Rodis, Jose Paulo B. Tuazon, Reynan P. Calderon)
- UTILIZATION AND DEVELOPMENT OF MORINGA OLEIFERA L. AS POULTRY FEEDS ( Dr. Hermogenes M. Paguia, Rina Q. Paguia, Dir. Rudy C. Flores, Christian Balba)
- YIELD PERFORMANCE OF CARROTS (Docus Carota L.) AS SUBJECTED TO DIFFERENT IRRIGATION FREQUENCIES (Arturo Alegado & Jerome Lumalanlan) And for the Development Category, two (2) papers were presented, and they are:
- PROMOTION OF PROTECTIVE CULTIVATION FOR HIGH VALUE ORGANIC VEGETABLE PRODUCTION (Engr. Jonathan Lacayanga, engr. Walter G, Valdez, Reynan P. Calderon)
- SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY BASED FARM ON SLAUGHTER GOAT PRODUCTION (Dr. Roberto Rosario)
Papers were evaluated by guest critics, namely: Dr. Renato G. Reyes, the Dean of the College of Arts and Science of Central Luzon State University (CLSU); Prof. Estela Esteves of CLSU; Ms. Ma. Theresa De Guzman, Science Research Specialist of DOST-PCCARD; and Mr. Ronilo De Castro, Science Research Specialist II of DOST-PCARRD.
Consequently with the following criteria: Creativity and Originality (30%), Significance of Findings (40%), Write-ups / Manuscript (15%), and Presentation (15%), the critics adjudged “Survey of Indigenous Food Crops of the Aetas in the Wilderness of Bataan Forest” by For. Romualdo B. De Guzman as Best Paper, and “Goat Industry in Bataan: Problem or Prospect” by Dr. Gregorio J. Rodis and Jose Paulo B. Tuazon as 2nd Best Paper.
Winning entries were commended through Cash Prizes of PhP 2,000 and PhP 1,000, respectively plus Plaque of Recognition.
Present in this one-day research activity were the Director of Research and Development Office (RDO), Mrs. Arlene D. Ibañez; Campus Director of BPSU Orani, Mr. Rudy C. Flores, RDO staff and selected faculty members from Orani Campus, with support too of selected students from Abucay Campus. (BPSU-RDO)