Science Research Specialist Reynan P. Calderon and faculty researcher Eduardo S. Tinao bagged the 1st Best Paper in the Information for Dissemination Category and Technology Generated Category, respectively, during the 9th BPSU R&D In-House Review held on November 17, 2011. Calderon’s paper entitled Bataan Agricultural Sector Situation: Training Needs Assessment, and Tinao’s paper The Development and Evaluation of a Motorized/Pedal Boat Using PET Bottle, gained the interest of the critics and thus adjudged 1st Best Papers.
On the other hand, the paper “Performance in Teaching Licensure Examination and Pre-Service Education of the Bachelor of Secondary Education Graduates at BPSU Dinalupihan Campus: An Analysis” by Dr. Nely G. Espino, Dr. Ma. Fe V. Roman and Dr. Glenda C. Magno, garnered 2nd Best Paper, while “Graduate Tracer Study of the Bachelor of Elementary Education, AY 2005-2009” by Dr. Dolores R. Bajada was adjudged as 3rd Best Paper under the Information for Dissemination category.
Concurrently, in the Technology Generated category, the winners were the papers entitled “Yield Performance of Volvariella volvacea as affected by Planting Derived from Pure Culture of Indigenous Growing Media” authored by Rina Paguia as 2nd Best Paper, and “Development of Hybrid Energy System (Wind-Solar) as Alternative Source of Electrical Energy” authored by Mar O. Tapia as the 3rd Best Paper.
Papers were evaluated by invited critics consisting of Dr. Conrado J. Oliveros, Retired Director of DOST 3; Engr. Ronaldo Q. Dominguez, Senior Supervising Science Research Specialist of PCIERD; Dr. Ma. Elena David, Research Director of Tarlac State University ; Mr. Redemptor G. Toledano, Extension Director of Tarlac State University; Dr. Julieta Lapridad Reyes, Former Research Director of the Don Honorio Ventura Technological State University; and Engr. Adrian Singian, Researcher from DHVTSU, using the following criteria:
- Contribution to National/Regional/Community Development – 40%
- Sustainability of the Project - 30%
- Adequacy and Efficiency of Design and Procedures – 20%
- Clarity and Style of Presentation – 10%
This year’s BPSU R&D In-house Review which was held at the CEA Accreditation Room featured presentation of 10 research papers which were categorized into Information for Dissemination and Technology Generated. Papers presented were as follows:
I.Information for Dissemination
- Status of Pedicab Drivers in Dinalupihan: Basis for Extension Program (Perla B. Estrella, Ph. D. & Eugene S. Magno)
- Performance in Teaching Licensure Examination & Pre-Service Education of the Bachelor of Secondary Education Graduates at BPSU Dinalupihan Campus: An Analysis ( Nely G. Espino, Ed. D.; Ma. Fe V. Roman, Ed. D. & Glenda C. Magno, Ed. D.)
- Graduate Tracer Study of the Bachelor of Elementary Education, AY 2005-2009 (Dolores R. Bajada, Ph. D.)
- Bataan Agricultural Sector Situation: Training Needs Assessment ( Reynan P. Calderon, Arlene D. Ibañez, Jose Paulo B. Tuazon, Consuelo G. Cruz, Lorna R. Roldan & Ria-Ann L. Dizon)
- Assessment of the Public Awareness on Bataan Coastal Resource Benefits and Environmental Impact (Alvin B. Cervania, Delia S. Llave, Antonio B. Zapanta & Adrian Perdio)
- Yield Performance of Volvariella volvacea as affected by Planting Derived from Pure Culture of Indigenous Growing Media (Rina Paguia)
- Renewable Energy Production Using Pico-Hydro Electric Generator Designed for the Irrigation Canal of Arsenal, Limay, Bataan ( Nelson S. Andres)
- Development of Hybrid Energy System (Wind-Solar) as Alternative Source of Electrical Energy ( Mar O. Tapia)
- Development of Low-Cost LED Lamp for Sustainable Energy and General Lightings (Guillermo O. Lacson)
- Development and Evaluation for a Motorized/Pedal Boat Using PET Bottle (Eduardo S. Tinao)
Adjudged best papers received cash prizes of P3,000., P2,000. And P1,500, respectively, while non-winning entries were given consolation prize of P1,000 each.
This annual research activity was graced by the presence of the Vice President for Research, Extension and Auxiliary Services, Dr. Gregorio J. Rodis who gave a motivating welcome remarks. Director Arlene D. Ibañez of the BPSU’s Research office culminated the activity through a message of appreciation and motivation.
Present in the event were the Associate Director for Research in Balanga Campus, Ms. Wilma B. Tumaliuan, Associate Director for Research in Orani Campus, Dr. Felicisima E. Tungol and the RDO staff.(Report and Photo Credits: RDO)